Marketing Planning Tips for 2018
If you’re spending the precious time between Christmas and the New Year planning what you want to achieve in 2018, then you’re far from alone.
As marketing experts, we know from experience that the more effort you put into your marketing planning, the better the results you will achieve.
In some instances, and certainly for larger businesses, the marketing planning process will be detailed and involved, but for smaller businesses it can be as simple as just a few small steps making the difference between better results in 2018 or just more of the same.
Here’s a few simple things we know make a difference to smaller businesses:
- Decide what you want to achieve… “this year I want to add 10 new regular customers” may seem like a small ambition, but if you run a beauty clinic for example, then that could mean an extra £5K profit.
- Don’t be afraid to review your pricing… a 3% price rise on a typical one-person ltd company income of £58K will add £145/month
- Look at the marketing you did last year and compare the results of each. Now stop spending money on the bits that didn’t work!
- Ask your customers how they felt they benefited from your products or services last year. You might find they’re buying benefits you didn’t know you were offering… and this may help you refine your core marketing messages
- Resolve to connect to everyone you meet on Linkedin, and to follow up with every new contact with an email telling them it was interesting to meet them
- Wherever possible, arrange to have a coffee with every new networking contact you meet this year… you just never know who knows someone who might need you
- Keep a customer, prospect and networking database – excel, Mailchimp or workbooks.com, it really doesn’t matter, but if you don’t keep track of the people you meet, you’ll be missing opportunities
- DON’T assume email marketing is effective just because it’s free – talk to someone who knows what they’re doing for advice
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are any number of good marketing consultancies and agencies out there, many of whom will give you an hour of their time – you’d be amazed what you can pick up in an hour!
If you’d like some help reviewing your marketing or doing some marketing planning for 2016, contact The Marketing team on 01832 226421.